Sunday, June 17, 2007

WW Sketch/Con Report

Shaun and I were bored for a little bit at WW Philly, so I opened up the ol' laptop and fired up the ol' tablet and started to try to finalize our ol' 'Wrath' character design (for Flammarion, our entry into the CBC). This is what we came up with for his final facial look:Hook nose, gaunt face, long hair, single strand over face; you know, the basics.

On a side note, WW Philly was a friggin BLAST. I was only able to make it for one day (We went on Friday). Saturday I woke up with a fever and a terrible headache -- in no shape to drive, unfortunately. I would've loved to have tried to make it later in the day, but was unfortunately in a drug-induced health coma.

The one day that we did make it, though, was a whole lot of fun. I'd get up every once in a while to meet and greet the other DDer's. I met Suzi, of Greater than Colon O fame, and her band of merry characters. They were alot of fun to be around. I also met Dj Coffman (no need for a link, you all know who the man is), who was situated in the table next to mine. He was peddling his books (variant covers! =0) and making sketches for his numerous fans as I sat, neglected, and doodled. I also met Amelius and Evil Emperor Nick (Amy drew me a sketch of Charby! It was amazing!). Amy is surprisingly quiet and soft-spoken, but extremely friendly and talented. She gave me a little pipe-cleaner jackalope (which inspired some pretty crazy sketches) that I have sitting next to my computer right now. Nick and I had an interesting conversation about the stigma of being a sprite comicker, and then we conspired to launch a zombie uprising of epic proportions -- we'll see how that goes. I briefly spoke with Alexis (of Life on the Fringe fame) who was much more organized than the rest of us. She was actually selling things, like stickers and prints, as opposed to sitting awkwardly and drawing while waiting for someone to walk up and ask about something. Now while I was walking around and meeting people, Shaun refused to leave the table. I think that either he was afraid our laptops would get stolen, or that he's unbearably shy and has trouble meeting people. I prefer to think the former, but it's most likely the shy thing. He's never been a big social guy, so next time any of you see us at a convention, you might have to initiate the conversation in order to actually meet Shaun. Talk to him, cause there's no way he's leaving the table to talk to you. Heh.

Overall the experience was definitely positive. Shaun and I learned the importance of planning (Printing stickers -- those things went like hotcakes! (On another side note, who coined that term? And furthermore, what are hotcakes?) We went in with 50 or so, and walked out of there with all of 6 stickers left. I did not expect to give away more than 10, let alone 44! And on Friday no less!) and the importance of patience. We sat around alot and waited for people to talk to us. We had quite a few people walk over and glance at our table, some even read the examples of strips we had put out. I got alot of positive feedback from some comic-enthusiasts (sure, it was most likely just them being polite, but it's always nice to get compliments). We even managed to get on internet-video-tv-whatever as part of some interview by these guys at GameInvasion.net along with everyone else at the DD Alley. So that's cool. It was a fun time for everyone. I'm really glad I went.

Now leaving was another adventure altogether. The way that the Pennsylvania Convention Center is situated is interesting. It's right on the edge of Chinatown in Phili, so most of the signs are in chinese and, thus, illegible. The parking garage is a twisty-turny alley of death that is impossible to get out of. We spent 15 minutes trying to find the exit, and when we finally did, it was on a different side of the building from the entrance, so we were immensely confused as to how to get back to I-95. We shouldve turned left out of the garage. I turned right. What happened next is a sad tale of bad decisions and wasted gas. We drove around for 30 minutes in Center City Philadelphia, just trying to find a sign to I-95. Mind you, we weren't asking directions under any circumstances. We went through Penn University twice, and went through Drexel's campus once before finally finding a road that pointed to 95. Unfortnuately, we passed it before realizing what it was. It was a left turn, but the next road was a one-way street in the opposite direciton. So we decided 'hey, let's just take 3 rights and we'll be all set!'. We did just that, took a right, took the next right, and the next one. We ended up on the road NEXT to the one we wanted to be on. We could see it, but we couldn't get to it. We eventually ended up on 72, which eventually connects to 95 through the airport, but I didn't want to GO to the airport, so we exited 72, went back into the city, and did the whole fiasco again until we finally ended up on 95 and headed home. It was exhausting, but hilarious and fun. If I had the choice, I'd do the same exact thing.

I'm lying. I wouldnt. I would take the damn left out of the parking garage and gotten home an hour earlier.

Damn parking garage.


I can't wait till Texas.

4 comments:

Holly said...

Sounds like fun. *Envy* ^_^

sovietturkey said...

We couldn't have gone left. It was a one way street.

Like drugs.

acadia said...

There were so many one way streets! They were conspiring against us!

Anonymous said...

In the U.S., pancakes are also be called hotcakes, griddlecakes, or flapjacks. In Mexico, they are generally called "hotcakes" rather than "pancakes." Similar in style to pancakes served in the U.S., hotcakes are more often made with cornmeal as well as or instead of wheat flour. Hotcakes are popular breakfast items at restaurants throughout the country, and are often sold by street vendors in cities and during the local celebrations of small towns through the day and evening; the vendors usually sell a single hotcake topped with different sauces such as condensed milk, fruit jam or a sweet goat milk spread called "cajeta."

Woo. Wikipedia.